Brandon Williams is expected to stay at Manchester United.
The academy graduate spent last season on loan at Norwich City and appeared in 26 Premier League appearances.
He was unable to help the Canaries stay up as they finished bottom and conceded 84 goals in the process.
While it would be unreasonable to kick those stats out of Williams, it would be fair to say his performance didn’t inspire much confidence in his ability to challenge for a starting spot at United.
That would go doubly for that spot being at right-back, given he regularly played on the opposite flank for Norwich.
He was also a left-back the last time he had a sustained run in the Red Devils squad.
However according to Athleticismhe will stay at the club as a possible alternative to Diogo Dalot, who has established himself as the first choice at right-back.
With Aaron Wan-Bissaka subject to interest from Crystal Palace, Williams could be the only such alternative in the squad.
Palace are looking to secure their former player in a deal worth significantly less than the £50million they received from him three years ago.
Even a loan move is possible at this point.
Although United may still be in the market for a right-back, they do not appear to be in preliminary talks with a candidate at this stage.
And with time running out, it’s highly likely that United will compete this season with Dalot and Williams as their only options on the right side of defence.
- Online football content like you’ve never seen before
- Prepare for the game with our preview, team news and tactical analysis
- Get carefully selected news, transfer news, smart opinions and humor
- Instantly delivered to your device with simple and secure online ordering
- Click Preview to see more or buy now for just £1.25/$1.50
- Limited Time Offer: SAVE 33% on a season pass – use coupon code SEASON33 at checkout.