Samuel Umtiti has extended his contract with Barcelona and agreed to a significant pay cut meaning the financially struggling Spanish club can finally register new signing Ferran Torres.
Umtiti, 28, has agreed to extend his contract, which was due to expire next summer, until the end of the 2025-2026 season.
As part of the deal, he has agreed to distribute what is owed to him by 2023 over the course of his extended contract.
Barcelona said in a statement on Monday: “This contract extension operation does not lead to greater financial commitments for FC Barcelona towards the player.
“FC Barcelona wish to publicly express their gratitude to Samuel Umtiti for his will and the affection he has shown towards the club.
“Thanks to this contract extension, FC Barcelona will be able to increase their quota for ‘financial fair play’ and thus register Ferran Torres in the Spanish Professional Football League.”
Spain striker Torres joined Barcelona from Manchester City earlier this month, signing a contract until June 2027 with a € 1bn (£ 842m) buyout clause.
Umtiti’s contract extension completes a remarkable turnaround for the France international, who was told he was not part of former manager Ronald Koeman’s plans at the start of the season.
Barcelona even tried to offload the defender on a free transfer this summer, with Umtiti admitting that conversations with club president Joan Laporta had reduced him to tears.
(Photo: Getty Images)